A recording of this session is now available to view. IBPA members can log-in and access it here.
About the Program:
Competition is stiff for shelf space in Costco, Walmart, Target, Barnes & Noble, Supermarkets, Airport stores and other big national chains. But you CAN get a chance to be considered for their shelves if you know the rules. New Shelves Book owner, Amy Collins, can teach you the right way to approach those big stores as well as supermarket chains and airport bookstores.
In one hour, you will learn:
- An overview of the kinds of books national chains, airport stores and supermarkets want to see
- What they buy and when they buy them
- How to find the buyers, merchandisers and the marketing departments at these big stores
- What you must have in place before you approach them because you get only one chance
- What you must know about getting into airport bookstores
- How to know if your book belongs in a certain chain and if there’s room on their shelves for it
- What buyers need to see before they say “yes”
- The KEY things to know BEFORE you approach the stores
- How to change their minds if they say “no”
- Sample email to buyer
- Sample Sales Sheet
- Sample kit of what to send to buyers
About the Presenter:
FUNNY, SHARP, AND SMART, Amy Collins is full of up-to-date industry tips and executable advice. She has been a Book Buyer for a chain of bookstores as well as a Sales Director for a large books and magazine publisher. Over the years, she has sold to Barnes & Noble, Target, Costco, Airport Stores, Books-A-Million, Wal-Mart, and other major chains. She helped launch several hugely successful private label publishing programs for Borders, PetSmart, and CVS.
In 2006, Amy started New Shelves Books, one of the fastest-growing book distribution, sales and marketing companies in North America. She is the author of the new book, THE WRITE WAY and works with self-published authors and small publishing companies to increase their sales in the marketplace.