A recording of this session is available through IBPA’s institution on OpenLearning.com. IBPA members can login to OpenLearning here to access it.
Wrapping a beautiful cover around a cheap or tacky book interior is a big mistake; a book is a total package. While potential readers might be intrigued enough by your cover to crack it open, they will be quick to reject a book that features poor typesetting or page design that lacks creativity, imagination, or worse – readability!
In this workshop you will hear from book designer and business owner Michele DeFilippo about the techniques book designers employ to ensure great reviews and increased book sales.
- Learn how book size, binding, paper, page layout, and typography work together to present your subject matter in an appropriate and attractive way.
- Recognize the subtle ways in which readability (and salability) can be improved, such as fixing the spacing between letters, and eliminating “rivers” of white in your text and “ladders” in your paragraphs.
- Appreciate why word processing software is not up to the task of page design.
- Understand the terminology used by book designers and publishers, such as kerning, tracking, widows, orphans, book block, etc.
- View before and after examples of actual book pages to help you visualize the difference between a “do it yourself job” and a professionally designed page.
Missed Michele’s previous webinar, Anatomy of a Book Cover? Check it out here!
About the presenter:
Michele DeFilippo is the owner of 1106 Design, a Phoenix-based company that provides book publishing services and expertise to authors and publishers from all over North America.
1106 Design is the product of Michele’s love of consulting with authors, publishers, business pros, legal and medical professionals, speakers, and others who want to publish a book; simply put, Michele loves talking about books and loves helping people to fulfill their dreams! Michele, her team at 1106 Design, and her extended network of partners, have assisted authors with editing, cover design, book page design and typesetting, proofreading, author websites, determining the best print options, marketing, and other services needed to craft and sell professional quality books.
Despite the multitude of tangible ways in which she and 1106 Design help authors, Michele calls “honest advice” and “hand-holding” the most important services she can provide, which are borne out through her dedication to customer service and quality book design. Michele constantly shares her knowledge (based upon her many years of experience as a designer and business owner in the publishing field) with authors through her biweekly blog, webinars, speaking engagements, and her 52 Tips & Tools e-mail newsletter. Michele is also the author of Publish Like the Pros: A Brief Guide to Quality Self-Publishing. Visit the 1106 Design website at 1106design.com.