There’s a brand new program that is part of this year’s PMA University. It’s called The Mid-Size Publishers Event; it’s scheduled for Thursday, June 2, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and it’s designed for publishers, CEOs, or CFOs of companies with 50 or more titles in print and sales of at least $2 million annually.
The new program has been designed to offer information for publishers in this accomplished and growing group–using peers as facilitators who’ve been in the trenches and know what they’re talking. They will share hard-won knowledge about running their own midsize publishing operations.
Board member Peter Bannon is organizing the event, along with PMA executive director Jan Nathan.
Here are some of the topics on the agenda:
- Accounting practices
- Legal issues
- Exit strategies
- Choosing the type of company to be (S Corp, C Corp, LLC, or LLP)
- How to grow your company
- How to acquire capital and deal intelligently with venture capitalists
- How to build a company, sell it, and build another
Peter and Jan have assembled a team of some of the best and brightest minds in the independent publishing industry to present to and interact with midsize publishers.
Speakers will include:
- Charlie Winton, Publishers Group West
- Linda Ligon, president of Interweave Press and former president of PMA
- Don Tubesing, president of Pfeifer-Hamilton Publishers and former president of PMA
- Cevin Bryerman, CFO of Publishers Weekly
- Peter Bannon, publisher, Sports Publishing, and PMA board member
- Jan Nathan, executive director, PMA
- And others to be announced
If you are interested in attending the Mid-Size Publishers event, please call Jan Nathan at 310-372-2732. It just might be the most important phone call you will ever make!
Robin Bartlett is the director of sales and business development for the American College of Physicians in Philadelphia. He is president of the American Medical Publishers Association, a frequent contributor to the Independent, a former member of the board of directors, and chair of the PMA University program. To contact him, email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit www.robinbartlett.com.