A recorded version of this session is available through IBPA’s institution on OpenLearning.com. IBPA members can login to OpenLearning here to access it.
“Don’t judge a book by its cover” is tried and true advice passed down from one generation to the next, and for good reason. But when it comes to buying a book, the cover is EXACTLY how readers judge whether or not that book is worthy of their time and money.
In fact, it only takes a potential buyer three seconds to judge a cover and make a decision. How can you make sure that – during those three seconds – the buyer decides to open your book or put it back on the metaphorical shelf?
Every element on a professionally designed book cover carries the potential for you to sway the buyer’s decision, and in this webinar you will learn how.
During this special IBPA webinar, you will:
- Discuss the importance of a book cover in the buying decision.
- Learn how conveying the right message with your cover increases book sales.
- Explore the use of titles, subtitles, fonts, images, and colors – and the role each plays in transmitting a persuasive message to potential buyers.
- Analyze before and after images of book cover makeovers, understand what changes were made, why they were necessary, and how the book’s message was impacted.
- Learn how your cover can be designed for success!
About the presenter:
Michele DeFilippo began her graphic design career freelancing for Manhattan design studios, working on products such as Charlie cologne, Swingline staplers and Bounce fabric softener. After a few years, she moved on to Crown Publishers, where she first worked on books. In 1976, she moved to Phoenix, and in 1980 opened a typesetting business that served Arizona Highways Magazine, Northland Publishing, as well as other book and magazine publishers and ad agencies.
Michele now owns 1106 Design, a Phoenix-based company that offers cover design, interior design and layout, manuscript editing, and more with expert self-publishing advice and hand-holding every step of the way. Please visit 1106design.com to download her free eBook, Publish Like the Pros: A Brief Guide to Quality Self-Publishing.