Click here to download the 2016 Publishing University Scholarship Application.
Application Deadline = November 30, 2015
Scholarship Recipients Notified = December 15, 2015
About the IBPA Affiliate Scholarship Program
IBPA’s Affiliate Scholarship Program offers members of affiliate associations interested in advancing their publishing program the chance to attend Publishing University free-of-charge. IBPA awards one complimentary ticket to Publishing University to each affiliate, each year. Applications for the complimentary ticket are submitted online here. After checking with each affiliate association to confirm membership, IBPA awards scholarships to the candidates who meet the established criteria.
The IBPA scholarship is intended for independent publishers and self-published authors who need assistance in growing their publishing program. IBPA encourages affiliate associations to provide a stipend to help cover the scholarship recipient’s travel and accommodation costs. Please check with your local affiliate association to see if this is being offered.
In evaluating applicants, IBPA considers how the scholarship will assist the individual to become a successful publisher. We also require that the recipient share what they learned at Publishing University with their affiliate association members.
Applicants must be:
- A members of both the sponsoring affiliate association and IBPA.*
- Actively participating in the publishing process as a publisher of their own or others work.
- In a position to benefit immediately from the scholarship.
* One at-large scholarship will be awarded for qualified applicants not associated with any affiliate association.
Some of the points IBPA considers when evaluating applicants:
- How will attendance at Publishing University assist the individual in his/her publishing career?
- How will attendance at Publishing University be translated into the day-to-day operations of the individual’s business?
- How will the scholarship winner share the information learned at Publishing University with their affiliate association? This sharing may take various forms, such as written articles in the newsletter, presentations at monthly meetings, and mentoring of others throughout the year.
The estimated value of the scholarship is approximately $400. It includes:
- Attendance at Publishing University.
- Attendance at IBPA’s Benjamin Franklin Awards Ceremony, to be held the 1st evening of Publishing University.
- Networking opportunities with peers and mentors.
- Face-to-face access to some of the most respected names in the world of publishing.
The affiliate association should:
- Be familiar with the scholarship application process.
- Publicize the scholarship through its publications and communications (newsletter, e-newsletter, website, blogs, etc.).
- Verify that the applicants are members of its group in good standing.
- If possible, provide financial support to help cover the scholarship recipients’ travel expenses.
Finally, no applicant is eligible to receive the scholarship more than once. In addition, vendors are not eligible for the scholarship.